Saturday, September 29, 2007

Reflection

I'm trying to create a list of goals which will motivate me to pay off my debts faster.

Right now, the only motivation is to pay off the debts so that I can spend more. For me, this will lead to spending more and the debts will remain.

Today, I spent time with a spendthrift. I encouraged him to clip coupons, make a list for the grocery store and plan meals. He purchased toothpaste at Target. It was a good deal for $3. However, if he waited until tomorrow morning, he could have purchased the same thing at Ralphs for $0.50. Of course, that motivated him to pick up a Sunday newspaper and compare the grocery ads to the coupons. It would have been nice if he offered me a portion of his savings but, I am just happy that he won't throw away any money this week.

He then signed up for something called The Coupon Game. I don't know how this works (if you know, please explain it to me). It looked as if he had an old list . . like I said, I don't understand the site.

If you have not already guessed, I am a coupon clipper. My methods are simple: subscribe to the Sunday newspaper, clip coupons for items that I use or am interested in, keep coupons in a folder, keep coupons that expire at the end of the current month in a separate envelope or in my coupon organizer, throw away expired coupons at the end of each month. Works for me and takes less than an hour each week.

There are other methods and some people keep a pricing notebook. I don't because I know which items are at good prices and which are lower at other stores.

Clip some coupons and save some money,

On the stroll

2 comments:

NVRGVUP said...

Hey Ms. JD,
I hear you on the coupon clipping. However, I am so impatient, I can't seem to take the time to clip them. I know, I know, how am I too busy to save money? I don't know but my life just seems to happen at this point. I think that I am more broke now than before I went to grad school. This is crazy...I too am a slave to the Student Loan pimps but that's the price we pay for a better life?? Till next time, I will be "home fixen' to shave mista."

Making and Saving in the LBC said...

I'm black, I may be ugly but by God I'm here!

Unfortunately, I will still be on the stroll for Sallie Mae. Who would have thought a pimp would have a southern girl's name?